Price: Look here at amazon.com
Size: 1.82 kgs
Flavours: Chocolate, Vanilla and Banana
Ingredients: Micellar casein, natural and artificial flavors, polydextrose, lecithin, gum blend (cellulose gum, xanthan gum, carrageenan), salt, malic acid, acesulfame potassium, sucralose, aminogen, fdandc yellow #5.
Guarantee: Standard 30 day returns policy
My Rating: 9 out of 10
It does’t matter who you are, I don’t care how much stamina and physical strength you think you’ve got, every athlete needs to replenish themselves at some point – ideally a few hours before and straight away after working out. So your probably wondering what is the best protein powder for athletes? Well enter Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Casein Protein Powder.
Personally I have Vanilla flavoured Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Casein Protein Powder, as I love Vanilla flavour the most in shakes, but there’s Chocolate and Banana flavours if your prefer. But seriously this protein shake is so smooth, hardly takes any shaking to mix it, really good flavour, and no powdery horrible aftertaste.
Now in this post I’m not going to talk about the whole supplement process that an MMA fighter should be taking like – Fish Oil, Glutamine, Arginine, Vitamin B complex and Caffeine. But I will be focusing on one of the most important supplements needed in an MMA fighter or any professional athletes diets – Casein Protein Powder.
What is Casein Protein?
If your new to Casein protein then let me give you a brief overview – Casein protein is essentially the brother to Whey protein, Casein is designed to release much slower through the digestion system, which enables a steady release of amino acids in the bloodstream, for a prolonged rebuilding support.
This rebuilding process is not only directly after training, but also during any extended periods without any solid meals – this slow release will assist with keeping the reconstruction process going throughout the day, and can also blunt cortisol levels.
The best time to have Casein Protein, is a few hours before training to keep your BCAA levels up, which will combat fatigue during your training regimes. Also you must always have Casein straight after training, with some whey protein separately also, to maximise your bodies recovery. Then in general you should also have some during any prolonged periods of not eating between meals, and also before bed to stop muscle breakdown and support growth.
Heres a video to give you an overview of this protein –
my favourite parts of this protein
- One of my favourite parts of this Optimum Nutrition 100% gold standard Casein protein powder, is the simple fact that I can really feel the difference to my energy levels when I have it. I can feel it boosting my energy and replenishing my muscles before and after workouts.
When I don’t have it for a few weeks, my energy levels drop, I get tired easier and generally lack energy after a workout. So this Casein protein powder is crucial for me, and you have to ask, when some athletes use all kinds of illegal and or dangerous drugs just to improve physical characteristics and quicker recovery, why would any athlete ever need more then a healthy diet, and excellent supplement program with Casein protein? Confuses me.
- Meal Replacement! I mean come on, if you have a crazy busy schedule, where getting an hour to sit down for a nice meal is rare – then you will love the fact that making a quick 20 second Gold Standard Casein protein shake will fill you up just the same as a meal.
That doesn’t mean you can just start forgetting about solid meals all together, because you still need a balanced diet, but if your ever in a tight squeeze for time, a quick Casein protein shake will give you the fuel you need. Generally I suggest having a shake in between meals anyway to support growth and stop muscle deterioration.
- Seriously it just tastes good 🙂 I mean I have tried all kinds of protein shakes, and some of them are so bad! But have no fear, with Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Casein Protein Powder, there’s no horrible taste, no powdery chemical aftertaste, and it doesn’t take ages to mix it. I still prefer the taste of the Whey protein, but this Casein is still pretty awesome.
You can mix it with Milk, water or Milk replacements, and it will taste just as good as a milkshake from a fast food place or specialist milkshake shops, but its way more healthy! Bear in mind though that Casein protein shakes are thicker then Whey protein shakes, so bear that in mind if your not used to Casein, it can take a little getting used to.
- You can literally fee the steady release of Amino acids throughout the day, enabling you to workout hard from sunrise to sunset.
- While its best used with a balanced diet, and inbetween solid meals, if your in a rush then this Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Casein Protein Powder, can be used as a genuine meal substitute.
- Great tasting, making it easy to drink at anytime, no closing your eyes and screwing up your face, which can happen with really bad tasting protein.
- Offers thicker, and richer tasting milkshakes then Whey Protein.
- You can actually make ice cream with this protein powder if you like, i do it occassionally and it tastes great.
- Makes sure there is no muscle deterioration during sleep, or at anytime of the day, and supports general growth.
- For 1.8 KGs giving you a massive 56 servings, the price if really great!
- It doesn’t taste as good as Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey Protein Powder in my opinion, but then it has a completely different structure, and it still tastes good.
- A little bit more powdery then Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey Protein shakes, but i have seriously had a lot worse in my time!
Keep your body fuelled!
Ok so now you know what Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Casein Protein Powder is, then that means you now know what is the Best Protein Powder for Athletes.
But don’t underestimate the importance of what I’m saying in this review – keeping your body fuelled is so important when training seriously in any athletic endeavour, whether its just as a hobby, or as a pro career. Serious training without the proper supplements will result in over exertion, a lack of energy, long time to recover, muscle deterioration, higher risk of serious injury, and even more potentially life threatening consequences!
So don’t take the risk – before you start a regime of serious training, make sure you get yourself some Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Casein Protein Powder right HERE.
Always keep a balanced diet, use safe daily supplements, and stay tuned here at the MMAgateway for more supplement product reviews in the future.
I hope you enjoyed this review, please leave some comments below if you have something to add or a question to ask, and I will always get back to you.
Thanks for reading!