Price: Check it out right HERE
Best place to buy: amazon.com
Colour: Black/Gold or Red
Material: Syntek Leather
Shipping: Varies on country
Guarantee: Standard 30 days returns policy
My Rating: 9.5 out of 10
To be a top striker in MMA or in martial arts in general, then you have to get used to training with all different types of mitts, bags, dummies, gloves etc. So today we are looking at the Fairtex FMV14 Short Focus Mitts.
But ultimately the most important factors to becoming a great striker is a few words – power, speed, technique and accuracy. As a trainer you must teach this to your students, and as a Martial artist you have to learn this – developing your power, speed, accuracy and technique can be the difference maker between winning or losing against your opponent. I have seen many strikers lose fights purely because either their speed, technique, power or accuracy was badly lacking in one or all areas.
When you have a fight, you will notice that your opponents head is a very small target in a lot of ways, especially if they have great head movement, so it can be a difficult task to land a clean strike against certain opponents.
However if you have been used to training hard with these mitts like these Fairtex FMV14 Short Focus Mitts, then your accuracy and general striking technique will improve substantially.
Here’s a video that will just give you a quick look at these mitts in action –
My Favourite Parts of these mitts
- Well first off I love the fact that they can be used not just for improving your boxing technique, power accuracy, and speed. But also for helping develop your kicks, knees and elbows. Sure if your a powerful striker you will have to drop off a bit at times, and there are some competitive options out there for kicks, knees and elbows, but still the versatility here with these mitts is admirable. Also for pure boxing technique i think these are the best mitts you can get.
- Secondly the curved design of the mitts not only makes wearing them very comfortable, but it really helps with your pad work in terms of rolling with the strikes thrown at them. These mitts takes a lot of the pressure off of your wrists and instead puts more impact onto the center of your hand which is the most protected area.
- Also they just look really cool, you can get a lot of designs of Fairtex mitts in different places, but the black and gold design is always a great blend of colours and so for me its just a great part of these mitts.
Why not just train with a sparring partner?
This will be common knowledge for people who are used to training, but for those of you who are new to training you might ask yourself – whats the point in doing pad work? Why not just spar to improve my striking?
Well first off you don’t want to start sparring before you are used to all the various boxing techniques and combinations sequences – you get your mistakes out on the pads before the sparring match or real fight happens.
Its a common thing for a young striker to want to start sparring and fighting early, but very often they will take a bit of a beating if they do too early, because in Martial Arts and MMA trying to run before you can walk is a dangerous game to play.
Secondly if your sparring with someone who is a pro or just used to striking, then you will find it very difficult to hit them. Their head movement, parrying, footwork and general technique will be far superior to yours, so if you cannot get used to hitting a moving target like these mitts, then you wont be able to hit a seasoned striker when you start sparring.
Also it is just much safer then sparring to begin with, because obviously the pads do not hit back and are purely for focusing on your accuracy, speed, technique and power – you cannot be throwing everything into your strikes with a sparring partner unless you both agree, but with pads you will be able to throw as hard as you want anytime you feel like it, and with pads like these Fairtex FMV14 Short Focus Mitts there will be no danger of hurting your coach or partner holding them for the most part.
Ultimately all pro and amateur strikers first get used to pad work before they start sparring, its all part of building your muscle memory, so that when you get into a sparring match or a real fight, your body will naturally know what to throw, when to throw it, from what angle, how to defend etc.
- These mitts are really made for speed and accuracy, meaning they are really important to have for any trainer/fighter.
- The Fairtex FMV14 Short Focus Mitts can be used for a variety of techniques, from punches, elbows, knees, kicks as well as for building defensive skills like head movement, parrying and footwork.
- You can train elbow and knee techniques by yourself, which is handy if you don’t have a training partner around.
- They are just seriously cool to look at, even though you can get them in other colours, I think the black and gold colours is the best.
- These mitts take the pressure off the wrists, and the contoured design naturally rolls with strikes.
- They are incredibly lightweight, making them perfect for speed, as well as making them easy to transport in your bag without weighing you down.
- The durable micro fibre shell and Syntek Leather material make them really durable to last you for years of striking.
- The have a beautiful smooth finish, which just adds to there overall cool design.
- They are made in Thailand, which is great because Thailand has one of the richest striking based martial arts of any country in the world.
- Errrmmm, yeah just trying to find one thing I dislike about these mitts is really tough, which you immediately know is the sign of a good product. But if I had to say one tiny issue I suppose it would be that mine came in standard plastic wrap, but if they came in a cool Black Fairtex bag as standard that would be awesome. You can get them but i believe they cost a little bit more.
- There are some better mitts out there for kicking techniques in my opinion, but for Thai elbows/knees and especially boxing these mitts are amazing.
The best don’t miss!
Make sure you are walking the right path of improvement as a martial artist, and if you have aspirations to compete professionally in competitions or in pro MMA bouts, then your striking will need to become a well oiled machine, just like all areas of your game.
But when it comes to striking just remember tat the best strikers do not miss often, if at all in some cases. I could reel off names for you all day, but no matter who I mention, a huge part of why there striking has become so effective is because of how many hours, days, weeks, months and years of training they have done with pads like these Fairtex FMV14 Short Focus Mitts.
By now you should be prepared to get yourself a pair of these Mitts, so you can do that right HERE.
I hope you enjoyed this review, and if you have any questions or comments then please do post some below.
Like, share, subscribe and stay tuned for more form the world of MMA right here at the MMAGAteway.
See you soon!