Price: Check it out HERE
Best place to buy: Amazon.com
Size: 69 inches tall and 18 inches in diameter
Weight: 260 pounds
Colour: Black, Red or Blue
Guarantee: 60 day Warranty
My Rating: 9 out of 10
Now lets get into the details here about this Century Wavemaster XXL Freestanding Training Bag, but before we do, long story short this is my favourite freestanding heavy bag I have ever used in my life.
Now I’m only 5ft8 and I walk around between 135-40 pounds, but I’ve been told that I hit like a 170 pounder before, and I can tell you that every time I use the Century Wavemaster XXL Freestanding Training Bag, I have the luxury of being able to hit this bag with strikes as hard as possible for years, without destroying the bag.
It is so stable that it stays upright firmly, rolling with my combinations, literally riding with me like a wave. I’ve also watched professional UFC fighters at 135 pounds have the same luxury with this bag.
Don’t think that’s impressive? Well let me also tell you that I have watched amateur and professional MMA fighters that are over 6ft2 and 240+ pounds, that also are able to hit this bag as hard as possible with strikes, without knocking it over all the time.
But yes like ALMOST ALL freestanding heavy bags, it can be floored with strikes powerful enough, but very rarely will it fall down flat from a medium-full power combination, and even less so from a single strike from martial artists of any size.
The most common ways this bag gets floored in my experience is by push kick techniques, which is different in principle to many striking techniques, and should NOT put you off this bag, because push kicks are not based on snapping speed power, but just the act of pushing an opponent over/winding them.
If you don’t know how easy it is to push a big thing over with a push kick, then i suggest you learn some push kick techniques, because they are the most effective kicks for literally pushing an opponent over, but not for a snapping speed power of most striking techniques.
So what I’m saying is, this Century Wavemaster XXL Freestanding Training Bag is a solid all rounder for martial artists of all sizes.
But yes be aware that if you hit hard at any weight class, you will POSSIBLY be able to floor this bag flat if you use full power too often on it in a combination, but it moves much less then ANY Freestanding heavy bag I have used before.
Have a quick look at this video to see what the Century Wavemaster XXL Freestanding Training Bag looks like in action –
My favourite parts of this bag:
Now every time I step into my local gym and get my time on this Wavemaster training bag, I really love the fact that it doesn’t matter how hard I go, the Wavemaster will take it all and be ready for more punishment from another training partner.
So durability is one of my favourite parts of this bag, because my local gym has had this bag for years, and it still is going strong after receiving many heavy poundings from me and my training partners.
Now while you might find it disappointing that the Century Wavemaster XXL Freestanding Training Bag can be floored with enough power – but I can tell you now that it is significantly more difficult to floor this Wavemaster bag, then all the other freestanding training bags I’ve ever used in my life.
So the Wavemaster takes the power strikes better then any other freestanding bag in my gym, but as I mentioned earlier -most freestanding bags can be floored with enough power, and most of them much easier then this Century Wavemaster XXL Freestanding Training Bag, but as long as any freestanding bag doesn’t fall flat from medium power strikes then its good for using to some degree.
But personally I don’t like working on a freestanding bag that falls a lot, ask any amateur or professional fighter, there’s nothing more annoying then being in a gym where there is no “big daddy” of the heavy freestanding bags available when you just want work full power striking combinations.
I mean lets be honest, if your working with some 90 pounds or less freestanding bag that keeps falling when your only using light-medium power strikes, its really annoying. Its crucial that when you want to put 100% effort into your striking in training, that you have a partner that can take full power punishment well – and the Wavemaster at 260 pounds is good for that.
We all know that if you go full power striking in sparring with training partners, someone usually ends up getting KOd, getting a bad cut or bruise, or some kind of injury, and we all know that makes an awkward weird vibe in an MMA gym when someone gets badly hurt.
Yes we need to be able to go hard with our partners sometimes in lead ups to fights, but most of the time in my experience its better to go light-medium power with traning partners, and go hard on something like The Wavemaster instead 🙂
I personally prefer freestanding heavy bags to hanging bags, because freestanding bags are easier for home use, and they pop back towards you with much more speed then hanging bags when you hit them hard. So the Century Wavemaster XXL Freestanding Training Bag is good for reflex training too, which is another great benefit to this bag –
ITS NOT CALLED THE “WAVE” MASTER FOR NOTHING
For me this Century Wavemaster XXL Freestanding Training Bag is great for taking a single power strike, be that a punch, kick , knee or elbow, this bag really does seem to master any wave thrown at it. So its a great shock absorber, but another great part about this bag, is that personally I actually like the fact that it is possible to floor this bag from power strikes (very difficult for most martial artists, but possible for some), because one of my favourite workouts with this bag is to literally try and ride the bag like a surfer would ride a wave –
By this I mean when I throw a basic combo on it, something like a jab, jab, cross, body kick with reasonable power, then the bag starts swaying violently from the power I’m using on it – I developed a solid cardio and striking power control exercise that I created during my use of this Wavemaster XXL Freestanding Bag –
So I basically just play a game with the bag, where I am aiming to make it sway and pop back to me as much as possible without flooring it, its like a balancing act, until I see fit to throw a full power combo at the end to try to flatten my opponent, meaning that this bag is great for learning to increase/decrease your striking power mid combination.
Rinse and repeat this process enough times and you will find that your awareness of your striking power and using varying degrees of it in fights will increase, where you will lull your opponent with light – medium strikes “riding the wave” so to speak, only going for the full power when the moment is right.
So after prolonged use, you eventually will be able to almost juggle with this bag in terms of striking with it, using varying power combinations, as you keep it pinging back to you without flooring it until the moment you see to “go for the kill”.
This is on top of the fact that the Century Wavemaster XXL Freestanding Training Bag will also sharpen your reflexes and general cardio, which also means that your response time in fights will improve, and your ability to increase/decrease your striking volume/power in a practical step by step way will improve.
- Great all round freestanding heavy bag for martial artists of all sizes.
- Fantastic for improving power control of your strikes mid-combination.
- Good to sharpen your reflexes due to the spring bag nature of the bags design.
- Fantastic for improving your cardio during striking battles.
- Good for knees/elbows/clinch strikes.
- This bag is solid and made with quality materials to last, my gym still has had the same one for years, and even though its taken a battering and still is as strong as ever.
- So much easier to install/store then drilling holes in your ceiling for a hanging bag, making it great for home use.
- Reasonable to move around for such a big bag, it is mobile, making it practical to put away and bring out anytime.
- Excellent padding makes striking very comfortable at the moment of impact.
- Decent price for the quality and size of the bag.
- Impossible to floor for weak-medium power strikers (And as we highlighted earlier even power strikers can only floor the Wavemaster with specific techniques).
- The base can be used for dips/corework exercise.
- The base is easy to fill with up with water or sand and has a max capacity of about 270 pounds.
- If your a powerful striker, you will have to use your power with care, because even with the size of this bag you POSSIBLY will be able to floor this bag with a barrage of power strikes, or a push kick. But as I mentioned earlier there are benefits to that, in terms of learning better power control mid combinations if you have a lot of striking power.
- Its not practical for grappling meaning its not the most “complete” MMA training bag, but its benefits to striking far out weigh the fact that it cant be used for grappling. So other bags are better for grappling.
- Some people dislike the fact that this bag can be floored with enough power, and some people like it. I personally like this as I mentioned earlier, but just because it is possible to floor this bag, DO NOT make the egotistical mistake of thinking you will be able to floor this bag easily, because most people will NOT be able to floor it often, and will find themselves getting very tired trying to do it.
You NEED to start riding the Wave:
Bottom line is if your looking for a solid all round heavy bag for home use, then The Wavemaster is a brilliant choice for anyone. Lets face it you want a bag that you can rely on, a bag that won’t fall to pieces in a few months, a bag that you can hit as often and as hard as you like and it still stands there firm and ready and asking for more!
Whether you want a bag that can handle your “crashing wave” single power strikes, or you want a bag that you can ride in combinations like a surfer would ride a wave, then there really is only one answer for you – The Wavemaster XXL Freestanding Training Bag should be your next purchase right HERE.
I hope you found this review helpful for learning and in making a decision about this bag, so feel free to post some comments, questions or feedback below and stay tuned for more of the best MMA product reviews in MMA right here at the MMA Gateway.
Thanks for reading