Price: Have a look right HERE
Best place to buy: Amazon.com
Colour: Carrara White and Silver as standard, or Black/Matte Black upon request.
Watch strap colours available: Carrara White/Black/Turquoise/Granite Blue/Yellow
Sizes: one size fits all
Boxed-product Weight: 322 grams
Material: Stainless Steel reinforced polymer case, Reinforced rubber band strap, scratch resistant Watch face.
Shipping: Free UK Delivery/ for all other countries shipping varies from £1.99-£4.75
Guarantee: Standard 30 days returns policy
My Rating: 9 out of 10
So after the popularity of our recent review on the Garmin Fenix 5 Sapphire GPS Multisport Watch, which while being a unisex watch is still geared towards men – today we will be reviewing one of the best Sports Watches for Women in the Garmin Fenix 5S Multisport GPS Watch, which is the first watch from Garmin that is fully loaded with features and is geared towards women.
So The Fenix 5S looks very nice and its a little bit smaller then then the Fenix 5, which considering that most women have smaller wrists then men, makes the Fenix 5S a much better choice for a woman ahead of the standard Fenix 5.
Now obviously if you ladies are into MMA, then your will not be wearing this watch while your sparring or rolling, but at points during your training regimes you need a watch to time yourself, track your heart rate, all your body movements, keep yourself focused and well directed when your running on the track, the road, or in the woods and mountains.
But ultimately no matter what sport you ladies are into, this Garmin Fenix 5S Multisport GPS Watch is currently the best multi use female sports watch on the market from my perspective.
This video gives you a great overview of this watch –
My top 3 parts of this watch
- First of its kind – and foremost I just really like the fact that Garmin finally have made a watch here that not only is fully loaded with all the features of the Fenix 5 series, but is truly designed for women. While Garmin have made models in the past geared towards women like the Garmin Uhren or Garmin Forerunner series, but it is this Garmin Fenix 5S Multisport GPS Watch that we are reviewing today that is without question the best female watch available from Garmin and is easily in the top 3 best female sports watches on the market right now, so this model is a big leap forward.
- Stylish design and interchangeable watch strap bands – I mean seriously for an active woman this watch is just a really nice sleek design, beautiful watch face, display, great colour schemes and being able to switch up your watch straps means you can literally tailor your watch to how you want it to look anytime, switching from a sporty look to a more casual look or a more bling look.
- So many functions yet so easy to use! Now I will list all the functions in the pros and cons section below, but here’s a few to wet your appetite – Heart rate monitor, sleep monitor, calorie intake monitor, multiple sports settings, workout schedules/plans,GPS, Wifi, connectivity with your phone and ridiculous battery length! Now while having so many functions could sound daunting to some people, trust me the Garmin Fenix 5S Multisport GPS Watch is really easy to use like all the Fenix 5 series, so the buttons are comfortable and in the right places, will only take around 25 minutes to get it set up and everything synced to you.
Who are Garmin?
Well in short they are one of the best known companies in the world for its development and specialisation in GPS technology for use in the automotive, aviation, marine, outdoor, sport activities and utilities industries. Due to their large increase of wearable technology, they have also been successfully competing with activity tracker/smartwatch consumer developers such as Fitbit and Apple.
Garmin are an American multinational technology company founded by Gary Burrell and Min Kao in 1989 in Lenexa, Kansas, United States, with headquarters located in Olathe, Kansas.
By 2000 Garmin held 35 patents on GPS technology, had sold over three million GPS devices, and was producing 50 different models. Its products were sold in over 100 countries and carried by over 2,500 independent distributors.
Today in 2017 Garmin now have offices operating out of USA, UK, Taiwan – they operate as Formar in Belgium, Garmin AMB in Canada, Belanor in Norway, Trepat in Spain, and Garmin-Cluj in Romania.
The name Garmin at this point is now synonymous with quality now matter what product it is.
- Much smaller watch face the Fenix 3, Fenix Fx and F5 versions,which again is a part of its excellent tailoring for women specifically.
- The Stainless Steel/Reinforced Polymer case is so durable that could take a hammer to the case and not dent it (dont do that though!).
- Watch is fully water resistant up to 100 meters, meaning the watch operates under water, which is really important if swimming and underwater drills are part of your training regimes.
- It has sports tracking for over 10 sports including: Running, Cycling, Swimming, Triathlon, Hiking/Mountain biking, Skiing/Snowboarding, Rowing, Golf, Jumpmaster/Tactical, Strength/Cardio.
- ANT+ Sensors mean you have a Cadence sensor, external Heart rate sensors, various power meters, Temperature Sensor, Speed sensor, Bluetooth low energy sensors.
- Advanced training metrics in the form of: Stress Core, Performance Condition, Lactate threshold, Recovery Adviser, Training Load and Training Effect.
- The scratch resistant display while not as good as the Sapphire version is still durable enough to stop any scratches that might occur when your in the middle of your training.
- Built in heart rate monitor means you can keep a close eye on how hard you are working so you can increase or decrease your workout accordingly with this accurate monitor.
- The built in GPS means you never will get lost, you can set your GPS coordinates, navigate to pre-programmed locations, past routes, new routes, bread crumbing. So you will always know if your heading north or south, what the name of the area/roads your on, satellite navigation, extensive maps that can be synced through the GPS, there is also a gyroscope to assist the GPS.
- Also has an Altimeter, Barometer and a Compass with a very reliable altitude metric.
- For running it tracks – distance, timing, route, pace/speed, lap info, stride length, oscillation, vertical ratio, ground contact time, GCT Balance and cadence. This is also the case with each sport setting on the watch recording and mapping multiple tracking metrics while your training in your specific sport.
- Syncs via USB or bluetooth to various Garmin apps, which is great to get any additional updates or customise your watch more to your liking.
- You can control the music that’s playing on your phone through this watch for either streamed or stored music, which is a really cool feature.
- The has a Wifi functionality on this model, and the watch can be synced with your phone to deliver phone notifications to your watch directly!
- Activity tracking monitors your: Steps, Calories, Distance, Floors, Intensity minutes, Daily alarm, Sleep, Heart Rate.
- Auto goal is great to stay motivated as it automatically adjusts your steps goal based on your prior performance, meaning that you can build up your targets practically.
- Built in wrist heart rate sensor, which helps for more accurate data in general which can also be paired with the external heart rate sensors.
- Battery can last up to 9 days in between charges on Smartwatch mode, 14 hours in GPS mode, and 40 hours in Ultra Trac mode, as well as having advanced battery saving options. Obviously bear in mind that the Bluetooth, the GPS etc all of these things do affect the battery life.
- You can interchange between different bands! This means you can actually set the watch for the right occasion, whether its a workout, a walk, a party, or a business meeting.
- A watch for all situations!
- The heart rate sensor is great for running, walking, hiking and trekking, it can also be a bit temperamental at times whenever your doing heavy muscle flexing based training like weight lifting or rowing, but this is a general limit to industry standard technology currently, its not really Garmins fault.
- Its not cheap, so even if you go for the most basic Garmin Fenix 5S it will still cost a solid price around $600, so make sure you have the cash for this one! Also bear in mind that standard models do not come with Wifi or the Sapphire watch face lens.
- The Bezel on the outer perimeter can be scuffed a bit as its a slightly softer material then the rest of the watch and I think is also painted, so be careful this is a scratch prone area of this watch!
- While you can control the music on your phone from your watch, there is no music storage on the watch itself! It would be amazing to leave your phone at home and play tracks straight from your watch to your bluetooth headphones. However, knowing what impact that could have on mobile phone sales, maybe that explains why Garmin hasn’t done this yet.
Built for the female warrior!
Ultimately while there are pluses and minuses to the Garmin Fenix 5S Multisport GPS Watch as we have been discussing today, If your smart then you can clearly see that the positive points far outweigh the negatives, because this watch really is built for the female warrior athletes of 2017 and beyond.
Don’t settle for a second best product for your training needs, remember every sculptor needs its tools, and we all know that the best sculptors only use the best tools and Garmin produce some of the best sports watches in this industry.
So if all your questions have been answered, if you know the Fenix 5S is for you, your partner, friend or family member then you can place an order right HERE.
We will be reviewing more Sports Watches for Women in future posts, so stay tuned to the MMAGateway for all the latest news on that.
I hope you enjoyed today’s review and as always if you have any comments, questions or general feedback then make a post below so we can open up some dialogue.
See you next time!