Price: Look right HERE
Best place to buy: Amazon.com
Guarantee: Standard 30 days return policy
My Rating: 9.5 out of 10
Comfort and style mixed with strength and durability is the overall experience I have whenever I put on this Limited Edition Venum Absolute Koi BJJ Gi. Also just like the venomous snake head that Venum use for their logo, it just makes you feel like a bad ass that’s ready to squeeze and constrict your opponent into submission when your about to step onto the mat.
Having quality equipment really is a massive key to achieving your goals as a martial artist, and I’ve seen a few different Gis around, I literally spent hours and days looking for the right first gi. There were plenty of cheaper options around, but I thought to myself – why buy a crappy cheap Gi, that could rip or fall apart in a short time? Or maybe I will just want to get a better Gi if I get a cheap one.
So I wanted to start my BJJ journey with my emphasis being on the word QUALITY and as soon as I got this Absolute Koi Gi in the post, and put it on, I knew straight away that this really is a top of the line Gi.
Now if your rushing and you need a quick closer look on this Gi, then watch this video of the standard Venum Absolute Gi. But remember when you watch this that as good as the standard Venum Absolute Gi is, the limited edition Absolute Koi that i am reviewing today is even better then this –
MY JOURNEY TO BJJ AND THE ABSOLUTE KOI:
If you have passion for MMA, then at some point in your life will want to get used to all forms of martial arts, and BJJ (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) is one of the best bases for an MMA fighter to have, and today I will be reviewing the TOP Venum Ji Jitsu Gi – the Venum Absolute Koi.
So lets get started – now I’m not a black belt in Jiu-Jitsu, and I will never claim to be without attaining that honour through hard work. I do not actually have a belt in Jiu-Jitsu, but what I do know is that thanks to my shoot fighting experience, my understanding of BJJ positions and my general adaptable martial arts base, I have tapped out a BJJ blue belt during rolling in the gym (even though he tapped me out a few times before i caught him!).
Now this BJJ blue belt is still my friend to this day, and he was the person that convinced me to buy this Venum Absolute Koi Jiu-Jitsu Gi in the first place.
MY FAVOURITE PART OF THIS GI:
Koi are a common type of carp fish which you will find in a variety of gardens in a lot of countries, but within Japanese culture the symbology of the Koi directly means love and friendship, and if you know anything about martial arts, then you will understand that the bonds you make are lifelong bonds, so the Koi is an adequate symbol to have on a martial arts Gi of any background.
So I really like the Koi fish design on the back, which is a beautiful subtle change to the evil looking snake head of the Venum logo – Also just wait till you see how AWESOME the inside of this Gi looks 🙂
But my favourite parts of this Limited Edition Venum Absolute Koi are actually split – because while I love the Koi fish design on the back and inside, I also really just love the durability and quality of this Gi – my blue belt friend has had his for around 4 years, and that’s while using it 1-3 times a week for training, and every few months for competitive events – he only said to me a few months ago that he doesn’t think he will ever need another Gi.
Every time I put my Venum Absolute Koi on, I kind of feel bulletproof because of how thick and quality the materials are, so that is also one of my favourite parts about it 🙂
PROS AND CONS:
Well lets be honest everything in this world has pros and cons, so lets get into the pros and cons of the Limited Edition Venum Absolute Koi –
- Its designed so well, everything about it from the design to how it feels when you wear it and when you start training in it – it just has that top of the line car feel about it.
- Its made from 100% Cotton, which is rare nowadays for any item of clothing, but is a part of why it is so durable. There is plenty of Gis out there that are made of much less quality then the Koi.
- The Jacket being 450 gsm (Grams per Square Meter) with rounded, reinforced slots also just adds to the durability of this Gi.
- It just looks so damn cool! From the classic Venum design logos, to the beautiful and rare Koi fish design on the back and on the inside of the Gi, just makes it that much more unique and better to look at.
- The optimal moisture management system of this Gi is brilliant, I was sweating for hours in mine the other day, but it just soaks up the sweat efficiently, so I can still maintain a solid grip with any submission techniques.
- The pants are 250 gsm Ripstop, with reinforced stitching at the inside of the leg and ankle circumference, which again just enhances the toughness of this Gi overall.
- Ultra fast clamping system by rope, which makes fastening up the Gi very quick and simple.
- This Gi is pre shrunk, meaning it really isn’t going to shrink much when you wash it, so the Gi will stay fitting like a glove for a longtime, so it has a very exclusive feeling tight frame to it.
- The range of sizes from A1-A4 gives an excellent variety – if your a smaller athlete like me (5ft 8′ and 135 pounds) then either the A1 or A1.5 will be perfect. Personally I went with the A1.5, which gives me some room for the very slight shrinking (which is unlikely as it is preshrunk and my friends has hardly shrunk at all in 4 years) that may occur through the years.
- The backpack/lightweight cotton bag that the Gi comes in is awesome.
- The Collar is made with EVA soft foam, which is really good for impact absorption.
- Ok I guess it has to be said that this Gi isn’t cheap, which some will see as a Con – but for me I always prefer to go with the more expensive option because I know that the durability and thus the last ability will be better then a cheaper version.
- I really wish Venum did an all black and an all white version of this Gi – I think only the one option in white and blue isn’t good for giving customers variety – but because the blue/white design works so well, I can forgive Venum for not releasing other versions of this Gi.
Ultimately it is unanimous, the Limited Edition Venum Absolute Koi Jiu-Jitsu Gi has everything you need to start your BJJ journey, or to take your endeavours to the next level. Whether your looking to compete professionally, or just wanting to develop your BJJ skills as a hobby, this Gi cannot be beaten for quality in the industry.
Venum are such a well respected MMA/BJJ fight apparel/equipment company, and the Koi is without question Venums best Gi – and if you don’t believe me when I say that, then ask the Venum founders Jean-François Bandet and Franck Dupuis yourself – they will also tell you straight that while they have many great Gi’s, the Absolute Koi is without question the best BJJ Gi that Venum has to offer, and you can pick yours up right HERE
And don’t forget in the future I will be posting reviews on the top quality equipment from every martial arts discipline, as well as ongoing reviews on MMA related products.
Any comments, questions or feedback then post something below, and thanks for your time.